Friday, February 27, 2009

BEST FRIENDS

I guess it all started with that phone call. I remember it came in very early in the am on a Friday night, and the officer on the other side of the phone first asked if I knew Micah was in custody, and I said no. Then he proceeded to tell me the list of possible charges, and I couldn’t think of anything to do but write them down so I wouldn’t mess up telling the family. The officer said he had no idea when anyone could see Micah, gave me the number to call to find out, and apologized for waking me and for the bad news, he was very kind. In my notebook from then I have the time, charge list, and the next day was all filled with thoughts and feelings and panic.


In my despair and panic I called my closest friend, who did not answer his phone… When he called me back I was in the middle of HomCo, shopping, and I simply sat down on some lawn furniture in the middle of the store and cried (the first time I had done so) and told him what was going on. It felt so good to talk to someone not personally involved and I will forever be grateful for his kind listening.

I told the family everything I knew, and I think by this time it had hit the papers. I did not know until days later that Jesse was there in Costa Rica , and it is all clouded in shock and disbelief. I do know I was on the phone to Costa Rica a lot, and I know that as things came out in the papers I was surrounded by kindness, and messages of support for not only me, but for me to pass on to the family. I contacted any friends of Micah’s I knew and asked them to write or visit or whatever they could do…

The next thing I remember clearly is a phone call from a PI…who works with the attorney, he was calling me because Micah had asked him to, and I will never forget what he told me. First, I was told to not go visit. Micah knew that those visiting were being somewhat investigated and he did not want me to have to deal with that. I cried. He is locked up, isolated, upset, and he thinks of my life and my responsibilities. Second, Micah needed funds. My mother was very kind and ran down the next day to open him an account and start his “books”.

Now, I am still in shock. I still just want to know what really happened and why he was there. I am still grateful that all the other boys were out of town. I’ve been told that none of them would have gotten involved, but that chance remains, that Micah could have called them, and they could have all been there. I hurt for Micah, for Rick and Robbie, and for everyone else involved. I still have not been able to see him face to face. Each time I’ve gone to visit there are none left, so I continue to write and hope that he knows I love him. I cannot think of anything else to do.

For his future, I still want everything. I hope this all goes away and he can move on, but as it is, we just don’t know, and my not know for a while. I just keep thinking, the part of my heart that belongs to Micah is locked up with him…I hope he knows in some way everyone who loves him is there.

Thank You!

"I always tell the truth. It is the easiest thing to remember." - Mark Twain

Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment