Wednesday, January 28, 2009

WHO I AM


I thought that I would write a little about Micah while I wait for his call tomorrow and his first official post. Micah was born Oct. 4, 1990 in Missouri. We moved to Flagstaff when he was three years old and he has lived there ever since. He did spend six months living with us in Costa Rica the second sememster of his sophmore year of high school.

When he was six years old Micah started playing the cello with the Suzuki program at NAU. He had an awesome teacher, Mrs. Bean. She was the most patient, kind teacher that I have ever seen. He definately pushed her to the limits of her patience and she stayed sweet. When he was 12 he made the decision to switch from cello to swim team. He joined the Snowsharks and took off. He was an awesome swimmer, specializing in the breast stroke.

Micah attended the Motessori school in town for seventh and eighth grade. He attended the public middle school for the last part of eighth grade. The goal for his whole life was to play football. He loved football and made the jv team in his freshman year. In his sophmore year he made the varsity team and did awesome. Another talent that Micah discovered in his sophmore year was singing. He made the select choir at his school and then went on to make the jazz singers. He sings beautiful and plays the guitar.

In his sophmore year half of the family moved to Costa Rica to open our study abroad massage school. Micah joined at the end of his first semester and attended a private school in Costa Rica. His spanish came right along and he was pretty fluent by the time he left in July to return and prepare for his junior year and football.

Micah found a gracious family that agreed to be his legal guardians so that he could remain in the U.S. and pursue his dream of playing football and going to college. At the end of his junior year he left his legal guardians home and moved in with some buddies.

July 12th Micah was arrested and has been in Coconino County jail since then. We do not know if he will go to trial at this point and time. He was arrested with two other boys whom he did not know very well.

Micah loves letters and money in his account for more stamps, and letter writing supplies. He is an awesome writer and as you can see from his history just pretty darn good at anything he sets his mind out to accomplish. Yes I guess I am a little bias, but hey I am his mom!

1 comment:

  1. Robbie,
    Hi, you don't know me but you may remember my son Jordan Zweifel. He and Micah went to Montessori together and hung out a few times after that. I just wanted to let you know that I have been trying to write to Micah a few times a week and send silly postcards as often as possible to add some much needed color to his 'black and white' view. I have finally convinced him that it is ok to ask me to replenish his account when needed by telling him it wasn't for him at all but more fore me to feel like I was helping him in some small way. He tolerates my blah blah blah quite well and always lifts my spirits when I get letters back from him. I always excuse my rambling as coming from a mom, not his, but one that cares about him and his well being. I try to visit as often as possible but because I work on sundays I sometimes miss him. As I assure him, even if I can't visit I am thinking about him and praying for him every single day. I will try to attend as many of his hearings and trial if necessary as I can when it doesn't interfere with work. I am going to do my best to be there on the 18th so he has a friendly face in the crowd. He has been including some poetry in his letters to me and I would be more than happy to share those if you would like. They are absolutely amazing, he is very talented. I tell him always that I am here if there is anything i can do and that i believe in him and who he is. If there is anything else that i can do please let me know and if it is with in my power I will. He has my unwavering support always. Thank you for sharing on this blog. Keele Smith Flagstaff AZ

    ReplyDelete